Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Chef Nanette Gets a Raise

Let me just break this down for a second. 

I changed jobs about 60 days ago, the hope was to move laterally. After my third paycheck of $200-$300 less than what I usually received, I had to have a little chat with my office manager and the doc. They were promising wonderful things, changes at 90 days. Insurance stipend at 90 days. Paid holidays at 90 days. Most importantly, a raise. 

Yeah, well it couldn't wait. For a good two weeks there we played the "invent a recipe from something in the house because you have $1.74 in your bank account" game and the "sure hope we can make the drive to work on fumes" game. In turn, I play the "silently getting stressed, making bread, eating bread, getting fatter" game. 
Baguette! Ooo-la-la!
When you have $0 and a decently enough stocked kitchen for baking... Bread. It's what happens. We pulled out the frozen meats as well. But there was not a fresh veggie to be seen for at least a week there. 

I made Rustic Italian Baguette and Irish Soda Bread.... While I'm ashamed of the carbs, I'm proud of my cooking. They turned out beautifully. 

Anyway... I sat down with the office manager and told her I couldn't afford to work there anymore. I wouldn't be able to wait until the 90 days is over - their response $4 more per hour, $250 per month for insurance, paid holidays, paid vacation starts accruing in October - not January, and a guarantee of 36-40 hours per week - possibly with overtime if things are crazy... which they are - so I will be taking that, thank you! Needless to say - much more job satisfaction - though I still am considering different positions with similar pay and fewer responsibilities. 

So with my last meager paycheck, I was determined to celebrate. I went berry picking with the mister - $13 bought us 7lbs of blackberries. I went shopping and picked out $50 worth of produce - PEACHES! SPINACH! And I took a trip to the farmer's market - basil, green beans, asparagus, red leaf lettuce, zucchini... Delicious. I took everything home and made Seared Ahi Tuna & Nicoise Salad.   YES. omg. I still have an abundance of delicious veg in the fridge. The following night I made buttermilk fried chicken (yeah, I know - but portions were small) and steamed (not buttered) asparagus. Last night was an anomaly. We went out instead of me cooking. I make hot messes in the kitchen (think tornado) when I cook and it stresses the mister out because if I cook - he cleans. 

So I would say I have spent the last three weeks off plan... or plan-less. I hopped on the scale every once in a while to keep it real. I have been attempting to be more active as well - pulling weeds in the garden/yard, took a handful of 30 minute walks, walked to the farmer's market, took a walk during my lunch break, lots of bending/stooping with berry picking. 

Today it says... 359.8lbs

Nanette, this is what Maintenance looks like... 
  • What I am doing well... 
    • Saying No to a lot of sugar cravings. 
    • Cooking at home. 
    • Eating more veggies and fruit, less cheese and bread. 
    • Keeping an eye on the scale, but not weighing 2-3 times per day. 
  • What I need to improve... 
    • Portion control. 
    • Consistency. 
    • Hydration. 
    • Motion - the walks are nice, but sporadic. 
    • Willpower. 
So this week - GOALS...
- pack salad and a protein for lunch. 
- Walk 30 min of the 60 min on my lunch break. (3x a week). 
- Take my nalgene to work and drink it twice maybe even 3x. 
- Pack/have 1 snack between every main meal so I don't get ravenous. (now... choosing healthy snacks... that's a whole different list). 

I have written this list on TWO super sticky post it notes and put one on the kitchen cupboards and one on the bathroom mirror to help me with consistency. If I write a blog, it may stick with me for 2 days. I need it to stick FOREVER... nah, at least a week or until I can recap. 

Big Fat Love, 
Nanette

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for sticking up to the bosses! I'm glad it all got sorted out in your favor - new jobs are notoriously difficult financially in the beginning. I moved to California for a job a few years ago and had $37 in my pocket, and they said the first paycheck wouldn't be for a month. Yikes! It was very lean for a while, lots of beans and rice :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I'm so glad I happened to hop on blogger! Didn't see you were back at it. I'm in the same boat...just quit my job at the theatre, living off $100 a week, so I know the feeling. I run a farmers market booth now twice a week to make a little extra money, but back down to Pocatello weight 5 years ago and pushing forward to beat my lowest weight. We can do it! Much love at you lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I’ve been reading your posts and just wanted to share something? Please email me back. Thanks!

    Olivia
    1xoliviax1 gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

sorry guys, so much spam, gotta put the filters up again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...