Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Not Sold...

Trainer needed to learn a work out so she could sub for her fellow teacher. So we did the R.I.P.P.E.D instructor training work out dvd. Ummm.... If you're considering taking a class, or buying the dvds or spending money on that franchise at all. Just don't.

I mean... yeah. I got my heart rate up. I was sweating. I also spent about 75% of the time pissed off. They give the crappiest cues at the fastest pace that it's near impossible for someone of my weight and physical making. It's a whole lot of bouncing and jumping (which if you have a lot of belly fat, uhhhh... no go). I mean, I'm not opposed to doing a set of jumping jacks, interval running, mountain climbers, boxing... but when everything is like a giant high speed game of hopscotch, I honestly can't keep up.

Even better, their modifications.

For example... Holding plank position. If you can't do a regular plank go to your knees. Great. Now bring your knee up to your chest (one at a time). They modified mountain climbers to your knees. DUMB. A modified mountain climber is just done slower... with, you guessed it, LESS BOUNCING. I happen to like my lower back and like to treat it nicely. I also like the modification to work.

Another favorite. Wide feet stance, bend your knees to half squat. Jump forward, Jump backward. Another jumping work out that I need to modify. Their modification is to keep legs closer together and jump forward and backward. Okay...   What about actually targeting and strengthening the muscles being used?!?! I may be completely out of line here. But if you can't do the jumps, do some weighted deep squats. Hit those hamstrings, butt and calves. Come out of the squat and roll up onto the balls of your feet if you feel like it's just not enough.

I guess I should just say that the video was really counter-intuitive. It may be great for someone floating around the overweight/normal area. But there are a whole lot of work outs that are better for us obese folks, and by better I mean more effective, efficient and enjoyable. I'd call it face-paced, cheesy and aimed at those that are already somewhat athletic.

So I suppose I'll be sticking to Bodyrock, Zuzana Light, Couch to 5k, PiYo and Swimming. I don't consider this morning a waste. I got cardio and some weight stuff in. I accomplished being "active." I also learned what I won't do again. I try to be positive. Especially when I'm working out and in a lot of ways that work out just made me feel fatter and incapable. But I refuse to let those feelings defeat me.

Big question, Has anyone out there done the Jillian Michael's Yoga DVD? I'm wondering if I should buy it and try it.

Today I'm scheduled for an interval run with my friend at 2. I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to the running bit. But we may just go on a 30 min walk.

I'm also buying my flight tickets to NYC!!! The move is really approaching! I've got to hurry and finish my piano scales and piece and get my freaking diploma.

Big Fat Don't Buy Ripped Love,
Nanette



5 comments:

  1. I hate feeling like I can't keep up during a video too! Thanks for the list of workouts you do recommend :) I've been wanting to try a few new things.

    Have FUN in NYC! I try to go there once a season because my sister works in Manhattan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you didn't like the workout. I don't think I would have continued so I admire you for sticking it out! I woulda been pissed off too.

    Alrighty, get yer diploma, girl, my nerves can't take it. I'm stressing about your move and I don't even know you, lol.

    I hope you continue to blog when you move, I'm quite excited for you and I hope it all goes well.

    I moved from Tulsa, Oklahoma to London and had spent a lot of my life in the prairie of North Texas where my dad still lives in the arse end of nowhere (as the Brits would say). I love London and after er, 12 or 13 years here I have no intention of leaving. I'm a city gal through and through.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just goes to show that skinny people don't know what it's like to be fat. :p They can't imagine the obstacles etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I forgot, ENJOY NYC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps the DVD was formatted like that because it was for the instructor so they're assuming a certain level of fitness? In any case, I can understand the frustration ... but keep up the exercising and you'll get to the point where you CAN do all the jumps etc. :)

    NYC is one of my favorite places in the world - I'd move back there in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete

sorry guys, so much spam, gotta put the filters up again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...